View it in your browse
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 2, 2023
For Media Inquiries Only
City Department of Sanitation to Host Collection Day for Household Hazardous Waste Materials
NEW ORLEANS — The City of New Orleans Department of Sanitation today announced it will host a Household Hazardous Waste Materials Collection Day on Saturday, May 13, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Recycling Drop-Off Center (2829 Elysian Fields Ave.). The event is open to Orleans Parish residents only (businesses and organizations excluded). Proof of Orleans Parish residency will be required in the form of a valid driver’s license or a motor vehicle inspection sticker.
Household hazardous items that will be accepted on Saturday only include garden chemicals, pesticides, household cleaners, drain cleaners, bleach, paint (latex and oil-based), paint thinner, varnish, grout, flammable liquids, muriatic acid, small mercury devices, aerosols, pool shock, antifreeze, motor oil and gasoline. Household hazardous items should never be placed in garbage or curbside recycling containers.
The following items will not be accepted: tanks, fire extinguishers, explosives, radioactive materials, medicines, medical waste, radioactive materials, asbestos or hazardous waste from businesses or organizations.
Items accepted at the weekly Saturday Recycling Drop-Off Event include:
– Paper (all colors and types)Plastics #1 & #2 (plastic bottles and jugs; empty and dry)
– Aluminum and Steel Cans (empty and dry)
– Cardboard (flattened; no pizza boxes)
– E-waste: iPads, tablets, computers, laptops, telephones/telephone systems, cell phones, bag phones, televisions (up to four), keyboards, speakers, telephone/computer cables, X-boxes, PlayStations, Wii, MP3/DVD/CD players, UPS, circuit boards, portable navigation/GPS devices, inkjet/toner cartridges, digital cameras/video recorders (DVRs), gaming consoles, DVD movies and video games, fax machines, small printers, monitors, processors, networking equipment, stereos, security systems
– Household batteries (AA, AAA, AAAA, C, D, 6v, 9v, Lithium)
– Lightbulbs (fluorescent and incandescent)
– Mardi Gras beads
– Tires (up to five)
– Glass (up to 50 lbs.)
The City reserves the right to limit the type and quantities of items accepted.
Residents can visit the Recycling Drop-Off Center (2829 Elysian Fields Ave.) from Tuesday, May 23 to Saturday, May 27, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., to reclaim usable water-based and oil-based paint.
Visit https://nola.gov/recycling-drop-off/ for the remaining 2023 schedule for the Recycling Drop-Off Center.