The City of New Orleans’ Department of Sanitation announced that the City’s Recycling Drop-Off Center, located at 2829 Elysian Fields Ave., will be open weekly on Saturdays from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. This temporary shift from bi-weekly drop off is in response to a higher demand for recycling while curbside collection is suspended.
“We are continuing to prioritize the most urgent need for consistent household solid waste collection,” said Director of Sanitation Matt Torri. “While it will be challenging to increase drop-off events with limited staffing, we certainly recognize the environmental importance of providing a weekly recycling alternative until curbside collection can resume.”
Residents participating in the drop-off events should plan for longer than normal wait-times; the New Orleans Police Department will provide traffic control support to help the events run smoothly.
Orleans Parish residents can drop off the following recyclables:
· Paper: newspapers, junk mail, phone books, catalogs, office paper
· Corrugated Cardboard
· Boxboard: cereal boxes and soft drink boxes
· Plastics #1 (soda/water bottles) and #2 (milk/juice/shampoo/detergent containers)
· Small metals: aluminum and steel
· Mardi Gras beads
· Batteries: AA, AAA, AAAA, C, D, 6-volt, 9-volt, Lithium
· Light bulbs: incandescent and fluorescent
· Electronics: iPads, tablets, computers, laptops, phones, keyboards, speakers, cables, x-boxes, PlayStations, Wii, MP3/DVD/CD Players, UPS, Circuit boards, portable navigation/GPS devices, inkjet/toner cartridges, digital cameras/video recorders (DVRs), fax machines, small printers, monitors, processors, networking equipment, stereos, security systems
· Televisions: limit 4
· Tires: limit 5
· Glass: limit 50 lbs. (please remove corks and caps)
*Please note: no composting materials accepted at this time.
The City anticipates that curbside recycling collection may resume in Service Area 2 when the new contract begins in early 2022; curbside recycling collection may resume in Service Area 1 by the end of 2021.
For more information, please call 311 or visit nola.gov/sanitation/recycling.