From: Mary B. Cunningham [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 3:16 PM
Subject: Thursday evening updates
- Search and rescue assisted evacuating stranded residents in Venetian Isles and the Lake Catherine Area.
- The Sheriff is accepting inmates, and preparing for inmate return on Friday, August 31.
- EMS has worked to transport nursing home patients when generators failed.
- All hospitals are on the energy grid with normal power.
- 12 of 15 nursing homes are still on generator power. Poydras Home evacuated this afternoon to Lambeth due to failed generator.
- Assessment of City property began today.
- 19 traffic lights have been returned to service, damage assessments complete on 155 of 466 of all signalized intersections; cleaned debris from 40 catch basins; secured 9 leaning streetlights.
- Entergy continues to work to restore power. As of 6:30 pm there are 143,000 outages in Orleans. 117,191 on the East Bank of Orleans and 25,925 in Algiers.
- The airport is expected to resume operations tomorrow. (Please see previously send attachment for greater detail)
- As airport re-opens displaced passengers will be accommodated as space allows.
- Businesses are continuing to open throughout the city.
- As of 11:30 today, the RTA restored service to 16 lines. Limited bus service will be available tomorrow. For more information on bus service please go to www.norta.com
- RTA will continue to service disabled riders, including medical/dialysis patients on an expedited basis.
- Based on a preliminary assessment the St. Charles and Riverfront streetcar lines will not be restored at this time. Buses will replace streetcars on Canal Street. It will replace the streetcar on St. Charles only as weather permits.
- The LA National Guard delivered generators to St. Luke’s Nursing Home and continued to provide security details to several shelters, assisted in Search and Rescue operations in Venetial Isles, began debris removal, and assisted in facilitating the POD’s (Points of Distribution).
- The Causeway is open; the Hwy 11 bridge is still closed; twin span is open; I-10 from LA 641 to US 55 is closed; LA 628 to the Spillway is closed. Check www.ladotd.com for details or call 511.
Director, Constituent Services
Office of Kristin Gisleson Palmer
Councilmember, District “C”
New Orleans City Council
1300 Perdido Street
New Orleans, LA 70112